Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I did it! Welcome to my first blog entry. I've decided to create a blog rather than monthly newsletters. It will be easier for me to share stories and photo's on a daily basis.

We are busy with chickens. The first group of 200 moved outside on Monday...they seem to be enjoying the grass, the sun and the wind that just won't stop! We have two portable outdoor pens, though we need at least 2 more. Right now, since the birds are so little (they are about 4 weeks old), it's okay to have 100 in each pen...but they will quickly outgrow their space and need more room.

Tuesday we welcomed 100 new baby chicks. They are in the garage under heat lamps. It has been warm enough that they are venturing outside their 'heat zone'.

We have one 4-week old chicken that I have taken under my wing. Something happened to his neck...he has no control of his head, it's twisted so the top of his head is on the ground. He can eat and drink with my help. If I hold his body and let him put his right foot on my finger, he can flip his head around to peck at food or get a drink of water. It's a slow process. We probably should put him out of his misery but I get so attached to any animal that "needs" me. We'll take it one day at a time.

The hen wagon will be moving outside soon. We are getting them used to laying their eggs in nesting boxes rather than straw piles in the barn. The nesting boxes will be attached to their wagon.

We have 15 kittens!! 4 of them are eating solid food and using a litter box. 6 are close behind. 5 are still sleeping and eating 24 hours a day. They are so darn cute! I will be posting pictures of them all soon with the following caption: FREE!!! I meant to get our 3 females fixed over the winter, but it just never happened. The kitten experience has been wonderful for the girls...they witnessed all the births and are having a blast loving on all of them.

The cattle are all doing well. I've learned that it is foolish to go in the pasture with the Scottish Highlands without some sort of protection. A few of them are so friendly they want to run and play and rub their heads on me. Their horns are about a foot long now so that is a bit scary. The Holstiens in the barn are even more friendly, but they are much smaller without horns. They'll be stronger and bigger than me soon though.

We hope to get a bunch of seeds planted in the garden this weekend. The strawberries are looking good, full of flowers, and we've been enjoying our first year of asparagus this spring. Paul will be planting the sweet corn as well. Lots to do!!

Until next time...

1 comment:

The Italian Dish said...

Amy! Congratulations on your new blog - it looks great! I enjoyed reading about the farm and all the animals. I will be following your entries for sure.