Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend


What a beautiful weekend! The weather was perfect for working in the garden...sunny and breezy. I made a good start on the planting and weeding. Saturday morning my mom and I went to the Meridian Farmer's Market (in Okemos). I bought 2 flats of organic seedlings - 1 flat of tomatoes, and 1 flat mixed with peppers, basil, and musk melon. I've never heard of any of the tomato or pepper varieties, they will all be a surprise. I also planted some seeds: mesclun salad mix, radish, fennel, parsley, and zucchini. My hands are evidence of weeding the raspberries...ouch! The new patch of strawberries are almost weeded...the older patch is a nightmare. It is so full of grass and prickers...it will be 'pick-at-your-own-risk'. I'm going to wait for a good rain in hope of being able to pull the weeds without too much effort. There are berries on the plants so it shouldn't be too much longer before we have red-stained fingers.

Paul got our first hay cutting baled, the field corn planted, and the first batch of sweet corn planted. If he wasn't working on our crops he was working on Larry's. I always feel like a widow this time of year.

The hen wagon is outside now. Most of the hens are staying with the wagon, but there are a couple dozen who head for the barn first thing in the morning. At night Paul and I have to wait for them to roost so we can catch and carry each one back to the wagon. Hopefully when we move the wagon to the back pasture they'll stop thinking the barn is home.

We moved the baby calf into the barn on Sunday. We thought he was weaned but he might need a few more days of milk. Being the smallest calf in the herd he doesn't get first dibs at the grain. Paul is getting a new calf from Fogle's today.

It's raining...yeah!!

No comments: