Thursday, March 11, 2010

I'M BACK!!

Yes, it has been awhile! Ever since my daughter lost our digital camera last summer I have felt speechless without photographs. We still haven't replaced the camera (she is slowly saving to buy us a new one) but I'm ready to resume my blogging.
I left you last July, in the heat of the summer, before the burst of the garden and the arrival of the turkeys. We lost most of our tomates to some kind of rot. Truly, it was a relief not to have to pick and can them all. We were burned out by harvest time. We raised about 500 meat chickens last summer...that was more than double the year before. We are going to try a new approach this summer and raise smaller batches. We also have to raise our price because we barely broke even and there's way too much work involved to do it for free!
I'm happy to say the turkeys didn't leave me in tears last Thanksgiving. I kept my distance, emotionally, and we had them processed by a USDA facility. This year we hope to put up a pasture for the turkeys so they have more room and so we don't have to move them every day.
I hope you'll stick around as we begin our third season on the farm. We're hoping to make a profit this year!

No comments: