Monday, June 1, 2009

I ate a strawberry!


I'm excited to report that I picked our first strawberries yesterday...about 10 of them. They still had a bit of white on their tips but I couldn't resist. They were wonderful!! I imagine we'll have berries to pick this weekend.
Paul is outside, as I type, planting grass seed in the rain. Yesterday, Emily and Damien worked up the paths left from digging trenches for the new water lines last fall so now Paul is working as fast as he can to get the grass seed and straw down to take advantage of this perfect grass growing weather.
We didn't get all the planting done in the garden this past weekend but we made a good dent. We bought another flat of Roma tomatoes, 50 more strawberries, and 25 more asparagus crowns. We also planted cucumbers, sweet potatoes, marigolds, and nasturtiums (edible flowers). We have never planted sweet potatoes before so this is an experiment...one I believe that will end in failure. We still need to plant the pumpkins, green beans, cilantro and more basil.
The hens are finally far away enough from the barn that they are staying put. Well, I guess I should wait until after today to say that for sure. There are about a dozen that make it up every day. Last night Paul took them back to the hen wagon which has been moved quite a bit further since the last time they made their great escape. If they still make it up to the barn today, that's it, there's no retraining them, they will be barn hens. The roosters have been freed from their cat crates and they are staying with the wagon.
We lost another chicken over the weekend. We have one in the hospital now, not because he is sick, but he has a leg issue. He can't stay standing on his feet, he rolls back onto his ankles (if chickens have ankles). I put him in the hospital so he doesn't get picked on and so he can rest near his food and water. He's got it made.
The calves in the barn seem to all be recovering from their horrific ordeal last week. They are definitely more skittish than they were. Slowly, they are warming back up to me, but I don't think they'll ever be as trusting again. Sad. We'll need to do a better job with our next group at getting them taken care of when they're younger. We waited too long. Live and learn.

2 comments:

spleen said...

Egg Mama, tell me more anbout the sweet potatoes! Did you start w/seed potatoes? Why do you think they will fail?
I hope your weekend was as fabulous as mine. Great weather, great company...

The Egg Man's Wife said...

We've heard that it's hard to grow sweet potatoes. What we planted were just little shoots, no chunks of potatoes. They look like they will just wilt and fall over. I'll try to remain optimistic that they will survival.